Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Crochet Beaded Wrap Bracelet

Beaded wrap using crochet cotton and #6 seed beads

Not a crocheter? Pick up a beaded wrap bracelet in my Etsy shop, The Knitted Fiddle Boutique!

These crocheted wrap bracelets are a perfect instant gratification project! Whip one up in an afternoon and wear it out that evening. Depending on your choice of materials these bracelets will look great with casual attire or more formal wear. 

Step 1: Gather materials.
  • Measuring tape
  • Size 3/1.5mm crochet hook
  • Beading needle
  • 1 large closure bead (a 20 mm donut or 8mm glass bead works well)
  • Approximately 80–100 size 6 seed beads
  • Size 10 crochet thread

Step 2: Measure loosely around your wrist or neck and multiply by the number of wraps desired to determine how long your finished piece should be. 
Example: my wrist is 6.5” and I wanted my bracelet to wrap 5 times so I need a finished length of 32.5”

Step 3: Use a beading needle to string all your beads. You can string extra for safety. Whatever you don’t need can easily be removed from the thread later.

Step 4: Start crocheting!

Chain 17*, slip stitch in 1st chain to form loop.
*This loop will hook over your large closure bead, so adjust number of chain stitches if necessary to accommodate your closure bead.

Chain 1, [chain 1 with bead, chain 2] repeat until bracelet measures about an inch shorter than desired length, chain 1 with bead, chain 1.

Cut thread and pull through last loop to make a knot.

Using a needle, pull thread through center of closure bead and through last stitch twice.

Wrap thread around base of bead several times and secure.

Finish the beginning loop end by wrapping thread just above loop (before first bead) and securing end by pulling under wraps.



What is “chain 1 with bead”?
To chain 1 with a bead simply slide a bead up thread until it’s snug against the last stitch you made. From here work a chain stitch as you normally would being careful not to let the bead get pulled through the loop.


Wrap bracelets are available at The Knitted Fiddle Boutique


16 comments:

Tricia Hoffmann said...

So cool! I'm thinking Garden Metallic Crochet Thread(Herrschners Catalog) and beads for my 8-year-old twin granddaughters -fun! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I wonder is it possible to give more detailed instructions on the beginning and end, loop and clasp knotting?? Thanks!!

Erica said...

I'm not really sure what to add for more detail, but if you have a question about a step feel free to ask/leave a comment about it. :o)

Anonymous said...

I am new to crochet and could use a little more instruction on how to slip stitch the loop closed and how to wrap and secure the ends to make them look good. I know, very basic, but that is where I am! I would appreciate any help.

Erica said...

To slip stitch the loop closed all you need to do is insert the hook through the first chain, yarn over the hook and pull through both loops on the hook.
As for the wrapping part, just keep wrapping until it looks good to you. There's no right or wrong.

Erica said...

For a visual on doing a chain stitch to close a loop you can check out this page over at Lion Brand: http://learntocrochet.lionbrand.com/faq/117.html

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your help!!

Anonymous said...

I must be a visual learner because it really helped so much to see the picture you recommended. Thanks!! I will give it a try today!!

Erica said...

You're welcome :o) And good luck! Have fun!

Danette said...

Very pretty indeed. Love the large beed!

Unknown said...

I also make these bracelets, but with buttons as the closure, I like your bead ending much better, but how exactly do you secure it once you've wrapped it around the base of the finishing bead?

Erica Jackofsky said...

You wrap the yarn around the cord at the bottom of the bead so it looks like a coil then, using a needle, pull the yarn through the coil to secure.

Anonymous said...

how do you use the beading needle and a crochet hook at the same time?

bead inspirations said...

Great post, bracelets are lovely! with unique many variations. Thank you for sharing.
Oakland beading classes

Anonymous said...

Hello, Thank you for the pattern. In the pictures below the pattern, you have 2 brown bracelets. What sixe thread di you use with those? it looks like it is larger than the size 10. Thank you!!

cathy r said...

my brain refuses to learn how to crochet, my mom used to tell me it's so easy, but not for me. well I made this bracelet and it turned out great-I'm so impressed with myself-thanks!