Monday, March 4, 2013

Favorite Things: Fresh Fruit Juice

About 2 weeks ago Chris and I decided we were going to spring for a juicer. We'd been tossing around the idea of getting one for a while now, and Chris had accumulated some Amazon gift cards over the past year and they were calling out to be put ti good use. Chris did all the research on what type of juicer to get. I spent my time looking for tasty sounding juice recipes.

The juicer Chris settled on was the Omega VRT 350HD, a powerful low speed model. There's something about low speed juicers keeping more of the nutrients in the juice. I think. I know he told me all about it, but that kind of thing goes in one ear, rattles around for a while, and then goes out the other a few days later. Regardless of the reasons why we got it, I'm glad we did. It works well. I've juiced greens like kale, spinach, swiss chard, and dandelion greens, pineapple (with the core), citrus (orange, grapefruit, lemon, lime), melons (no rind), cucumber, carrots, beets, ginger, pear, cabbage, apple, grapes, plums, guava (that was weird), and kiwi. We've also done coconut milk a few times. That process involves using the blender and juicer (see bottom of post).

I love being able to make fresh fruit juice for breakfast. One of my favorites is a blend of grapefruit, orange, cucumber, and dandelion greens. Chris thinks it's nasty, but I like it. (He doesn't like graefruit in general, though.) My recipe:

1 large ruby red grapefruit, peeled & sliced
1 navel orange, peeled & sliced
1 handful dandelion greens, chopped
1/3 large cucumber, peeled & sliced

The past two days I've made pineapple juice blends. Yesterday it was pineapple/orange. Today I did pineapple/grapefruit.

Pineapple Orange
1/4 fresh pineapple, rind removed, chunked. No need to remove the core.
1 orange, peeled
Makes about 8 ounces

Pineapple Grapefruit

1/4 fresh pineapple, rind removed, chunked. No need to remove the core.
1 ruby red grapefruit, peeled
Makes about 12 ounces


For an afternoon drink I've discovered kiwi, kale, celery. 2 kiwi, 2 large kale leaves, 2 celery stalks. 2, 2, 2! It makes a nice green drink. The kiwi is pretty strong, so mostly you taste that and not the veggies.

And for the coconut milk, which I would never make on my own. Chris does the whole process. Straight coconut milk is too rich for me to have more than 4 ounces of. Mix a little with some pineapple chunks in the blender. Mmmmmm.... Or blend with a banana. Tasty dairy free smoothie that you have to work really hard for. By the time you sit down to enjoy it you totally deserve it.

Coconut Milk
Freeze the coconut for about a half hour.
Use a corkscrew to drill a hole in the "eyes" at one end and drain the water into a blender.
Crack open the coconut shell (tapping around the circumference with the back of a knife, or take a hammer to it. Just get that hairy brown shell off)
Break the meat up into smallish chunks (nothing bigger than 2").
Put the meat in the blender with the coconut water.
Blend together.
Put the whole mix through the juicer.
What comes out the juice spout is the milk.
The pulp is pretty dry and can be saved for baking.
Any stuff that gets stuck on the inside is coconut butter which can also be used for baking.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

With an Omega 330, my husband has been juicing for over a year now - mainly veggies and granny smith apples. He juices a quart and drinks half with breakfast and half at lunch. He eats a vegan diet, with a few home grown eggs, no dairy, soy,sugar or processed foods. I haven't made the switch. :)
I like a mix of carrot, celery and apple. Enjoy your juicer.

Erica Jackofsky said...

Leslie, That's great! I cut out gluten at the beginning of the year and then decided to go raw for a while. Don't want to be forever. I'm aiming for a whole foods diet, but I wanted to kind of start from scratch and work up. Changing my tastebuds. Even though we're currently raw we're still not vegetarian because we're eating sushi. No other meat though and no dairy, soy, sugar. I plan on adding in some organic milk though. I won't survive long without making yogurt!

Joseph Carr said...

I also use the leftover pulp from the freshly squeezed juice that I make sometimes. Mostly, I make muffins and marmalade. Orange marmalade has been a personal favorite lately. Do you have other juice ideas that you would like to share, by the way?

Joseph Carr

Erica Jackofsky said...

I have another blog where I post food stuffs and recipes. There's a link at the top of the page labeled "Cooking Blog". You can follow that over, or this is the direct URL: http://fiddleknitskitchen.blogspot.com